“The Monk who owned a Ferrari"

Once upon a time, there was a kid with curly hair and burly dream … A dream which shaped his future and caught the imagination of the entire nation. And such was the charisma of that kid that people are still enamored with him. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar – “Cricket in my religion and Tendulkar is my god”. I still remember the day Saeed Anwar smashed the Indian bowling all over the park in Chennai. I was in tears and I turned and told my cousin’s – one day Sachin will hit 200. Every 100 of his I prayed since then and when it did happen In Gwalior, I wasn’t a bit surprised – for me it was a question of when and not if.
People worship Sachin in all forms – Batsmen, Ambassador of the game, family man, it goes on and on. I, however, see him the best salesman I have come across. Yes, you heard it Sachin – The Salesman, The Monk who owned a Ferrari but never sold. Yet he created a brand bigger than the game, a brand so big that it will reverberate through times “Sachiinnnn Sachiinnnn dha dha dha”.
7 things I learned from Sachin the salesman –
  1. Dream Big – World Cup - Focus on that “deal maker” vision, never let loose of that. Set your sights on that dream deal – the one that comes in newspapers…
  2. Every Sale Counts – 100 – 100’s. Not every 100 was a show stopper but 100 hundred’s is…Not every sale is big and news-making but the consistent track record of selling is.
  3. Perseverance Pays – every 90 he got out at, before he reached the 100th 100, made the wait so much dearer. But 90’s isn’t bad right. Your pipeline should be consistent, results will eventually come your way
  4. Build Relationships – Sachin butchered Warne, Warne still thinks he is best batsman he bowled to and best human being off the field. Even your toughest competitor will respect you.
  5. Brand your work, you will become a brand yourself – he never sold himself, yet earned more than any from brands. Deal Makers never sell, they just have a knack to crack the deal.
  6. Family first – no rocket science that.
  7. Reinvent yourself consistently – en route to his ~240 he chose not to drive once through off side. Doing the same thing, again and again, does not crack every deal. Sometimes it pays to curb your natural instincts and play the situation.
Siddharth Singh

Vice President - Global Business Development