Practice Gratitude


It is often said that people do not value things when they are in possession of it. Well not just things, but Relationships, Health, Time, are some areas where we humans tend to take it for granted!

Last week, I was going through my photo collection, and came across a specific photo which brought back a great sense of joy in me. It was a photo from our last holiday (which BTW happened in May 2019)! I realized it has been 2 years since we as a family took a vacation! In May 2020 vacation was moving between rooms of our house, May 2021 was all about vaccination! Thanks to Coro…Oops! Cannot even use it in a rhetorical sense, this Covid is such a devastating disaster!

As I skimmed through the rest of the photos, while momentarily travelling back in time, I was pulled back to reality by a stark question! Why only certain occasion becomes memorable? I set my thought process rolling… Why should I wait for a vacation to feel happy? Why is that I need something extraneous to my everyday life to feel a sense of satisfaction?

As I implored further, I understood that gratification is a state of mind. When you are trained to expect bigger, better, more luxury, more pomp, your sense of gratification is bound to diminish.

So where does gratitude kick in and why is it important to practice gratitude.

This Covid and its economic side effects has taught us many lessons in the way we approach life, but I feel the greatest learning is evoking a sense of gratitude! 3 Square meals, 2 wheels to move, Fan under a roof and Communication at fingertips might seem bare-bones to us but remember there are people for whom even one of these is an ultimate dream in Life!

In today’s context, every day, every moment, every task, every meal and every interaction is a gift! Our ability to see the dawn and dusk, hear the chirping of the birds, or even to be in a proper mental state is a gift!

They say giving is the ultimate satisfaction! But to reach there, the first step is contentment! And contentment comes from being grateful! Not just to God, but to every soul around us! When we believe we are blessed and lucky, gratitude comes naturally.

If we practice gratitude, every day will be an endearing memory. Let us take a couple of minutes every day to recollect things we have received. It can be as simple as safe home cooked food or enjoying 7 hours of deep sleep or chatting with our friends or a salute from our watchman, smile from our neighbour’s son, Uninterrupted power supply, etc. We must try to involve our kids and keep registering them how grateful we all are. Tomorrow’s generation can overcome the greatest of problems if they have the right ‘Attitude’ and unfettered ’Gratitude’!